Sunday, 1 July 2012

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter

Title: I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You
Author: Ally Carter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Released: April 25th 2006
Pages: 309 (Paperback)
Buy: Amazon


Cammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school-that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses but it's really a school for spies. Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"-but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her? 

Cammie Morgan may be an elite spy-in-training, but in her sophomore year, she's on her most dangerous mission-falling in love




Title a mouthful much? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this novel, so when I borrowed it from my friend, I was a bit apprehensive. However, I completely loved it! I was so gripped, even right from the start. (I even read it in between meals at Pizza Hut - not my proudest moment!). Although I've never watched James Bond, I really do love anything to do with spies; there's just something really interesting about them that I've always loved, ever since I was a child. So this novel was definitely up my street.

First of all, I loved the characters. Cammie, Bex, Liz, Josh - even Macey! I liked the fact that although they were spies (save Josh) they were just like my own best friends at school, and through that link I could imagine what life would be like if me and my friends were in their shoes. Although the novel was slightly fantastical, I found it really realistic, as any of the boarding schools near me could possibly be undercover schools for spies. I also found their cluelessness about boys was hilarious - the book was full of comedy, but not so much that it was overloaded. It was a perfect balance.

I really enjoyed the plot, too. The girls are around my age, so it was pretty perfect to read it and to see how different their school schedule is to mine. I found it all very St. Trinian's like - and since I love St. Trinians, I'm not complaining! I thought the idea of first love with an ordinary guy pretty sweet, because to us it'd be like - yeah, so what? But to them, it was a major risk, and I found myself on edge, wondering if and when they were going to get caught. The missions they went on were pretty awesome, and in the following books I really hope they go on more and more dangerous missions, because they were really intresting.

Overall, this book was amazing, and I have high hopes for this series. If you like spies and haven't read these books, I definitely recommend them - they will have you wiping tears from your eyes and laughing out loud.
Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Ally Carter FTW! So glad you enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, I can't wait to read the next one!

      Delete