Saturday 7 January 2012

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

So this is the second time I have read this book, and I can safely say that I love it just as much as I did the first time. Admittedly, out of all of Green's books, this is my least favourite, but probably because I connect with the main character, Colin Singleton, less than I do with main characters in his other books - for instance, Miles in Looking For Alaska. But nevertheless, it is a great book, and I think I see it as a post break-up manual-guide - as in, How To Get Over Your Ex. It isn't a manual of any sort of course, but I do find that it is quite soothing to read, and after you finish it, you feel a sense of calm wash over you. I have to say that one of the best things of this novel is the character Lindsey. I know for a fact that she is one of Green's favourite characters, and it's easy to see why - she's witty, hilarious, charming and real; we all know a girl like her, and I think that we all can relate to her in some way or another too. The moral of this book is that you should always be true to yourself, no matter what - and that it's who you are inside that counts, not what's on the outside. It also talks about how important the art of storytelling is - being able to tell a good story is not just entertaining, but it is a valuable asset - I mean, where would we be with aboriginal tales and fairytales? Bored out of our minds, that's where. I would recommend this book to anyone going through a tough break up, anyone who is a maths-nerd/closet-romance-novel-lover, and anyone who just enjoys a good story - because although it does take a while to get the wheels rolling, once the novel is in full swing, it is very good.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment