Sunday 26 February 2012

Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, "strange" and "impossible "have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What - or who - will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?
For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself - forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.
Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.


 Mother of a Siren, this book was so flipping brilliant! But then again, why do I sound so surprised? I've been reading this series for over a year and I still freak out like a five year old on Christmas day when I hear a new novel is coming out. And to be honest, I preordered this book back in, what, September? And I've only just got around to reading it, even though it is my second favourite series - ever (after Harry Potter, naturally, but before The Hunger Games). I think part of the reason I had put-off reading it for ages was the fact that everything is going downhill for Casters and Mortals alike, and I KNEW something bad had to happen; and it did, and at the end, I was a glass case of emotion (aka, literally bawling my eyes out). I think both Garcia and Stohl make a great writing pair, and their characterization and plots are actually fantastic. First, the characters - it is rare that I like all the characters, but heck, I totally do - and I actually have Lena Duchannes on my 'Inspirational People' list on Facebook (yes, I know that's incredibly sad, but I think she's amazing). I adore all the characters, from Ridley and Macon, right over to John and Mrs Lincoln. And the whole plot, despite being supernatural, is actually quite believable in some respects - what with Lena just wanting to be treated like a normal girl, and with the bullying, and the constant hopes and fears of teenagers, no matter whether they are part-Incubus, Caster, or Mortal. And I beg you; if you have not read this series, get down to your nearest bookstore and buy Beautiful Creatures - believe me when I say that from the first page, you are hooked. It is a breathtaking story, and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment into Lena and Ethan's thrilling journey.
Rating:5/5

2 comments:

  1. That was the most beautiful, sweetest, heartbreaking book I've read in a long time. It was better than the first and second books combined and THANK GOD there is a 4th book or I would continue to be the blubbering mess I am right now.

    For the uninitated, you have to read the first 2 books or this one will not make sense at all. For those of you in love with Ethan and Lena, Link and Liv, Amma and Marian and even Ridley, this book will be your favorite. It packs it's pages full of better character development and interaction; the action is tension-filled and the quiet moments between Ethan and Lena are the sweetest ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I loved all the books equally. I think they're all the same, brilliance-wise anyway.

      Delete