Saturday 15 October 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Haunted by her past, Clary is dragged deeper into New York City's terrifying underworld of demons and Shadowhunters - but can she control her feelings for a boy who can never be hers?


I didn't enjoy this book as much as the last Mortal Instruments book. For one thing, the plot wasn't as thick, and a lot of the storyline was predictable - which wasn't that great, because you could see it coming and when it did come you felt a strong sense of disappointment and anti-climax. But nevertheless, I still loved this book, and I still love this series. I do like the complicated relationship between Clary and Simon, and I have to admit that there were some surprise in the book about their relationship that I wasn't expecting - but I got really confused by the fact that they were but were not boyfriend and girlfriend. And then Maia entered into the scene, and I still don't know whether she is dead or not, because Clare just didn't make that clear enough. I suppose that that would be the one thing I'd really want her to improve on, if she could rewrite this novel - make certain events clearer to the reader, because I got completely confused about ten times during reading the book. I know this review sounds pretty negative, but I honestly did like it, and am now going to read City of Glass, which I still have high hopes for.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment