Monday 2 January 2012

Looking For Alaska by John Green

So to celebrate the release of John Green's latest novel, The Fault In Our Stars (to be released on 10th January), I decided that I would spend the ten days following up to it re-reading all of Green's books I had. And, considering it is my favourite, I decided to start with Looking For Alaska.

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. 


I'd like to firstly say that Green is not just an amazing blogger and nerdfighter, but a brilliant author, too. The way he writes just engages young adult audiences effortlessly, with his easy wit and charm, which flows into his characters, making them seem more alive and real. This book is no exception. The characters of Pudge, Alaska, the Colonel, Takumi and even Lara are so brilliantly portrayed, it's like you're watching all this action unfold before you. They are exactly how teenagers are - they're not perfect, they make stupid mistakes, they argue, they swear, they drink, they get caught - and I think that is definitely what appeals to me the most; how you can relate to every character in at least some way. The story is also very realistic, which again adds to the relation. I also love the emotion in 'After' - I know I'm saying this a lot, but it is so real, you can just feel their emotions of guilt, sadness and confusion wash over you, and it genuinely affects your own emotions, just for that bit. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves YA novels full of friendship, firsts, and lasts.
Rating:5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment