Tuesday 22 October 2013

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Onyx
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Released: August 14th 2012
Pages: 366 (Paperback)
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US
Add on Goodreads

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies….

Obsidian's publishing sent the entire blogasphere a raging frenzy - the Lux series were the books to read, and eventually I caved in to see what all the fuss was about. Obsidian blew me away, and almost a year later, I've finally gotten round to reading the sequel, Onyx. I liked it - I didn't love it, but I liked it.

After super hot alien Daemon heals Katy, the two become connected in ways unbeknownst to them. Determined that Daemon's feelings for her are induced by the freaky connection, Katy pushes him away, involving herself in friends and school work - until strange things start to happen. Enter Blake, the new kid in town who says he knows what is happening to Katy and that he can help. But all is not as it seems, and with the DOD catching up to them, she needs to figure out who she can truly trust.

Just like in Obsidian, 80% of the book was about the build up. However, unlike its prequel, this time I did find it relatively tiresome. I wanted action - not just between Daemon and Katy, but between the Luxen and the Arum. Unfortunately, I didn't get much of anything. I mean, yes, there was a bit of both, but the majority of the book was about Katy's training - interesting to begin with, but about halfway through, it lost its mojo. It fell a bit flat, and that's why I've knocked a star off. But this was the one thing I didn't like about this book. The rest? Just as amazing as before.

Katy develops so much as a character in Onyx. She was good in Obsidian, but still had this sense of naivety about her. In Onyx, she grows from this timid girl into a badass fighter, who manages to hold her own without being too unbelievable. I think my favourite part about  her is the fact that she's so relateable, to book bloggers at least. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think reviewers are Armentrout's target audience for this series, as it enables us to be transported into a world of aliens and the paranormal. I mean, what more do we want, really?

And to be involved in a world where Daemon Black exists? Ugh. So much yes, it's untrue! I think it may be illegal for there to be such a gorgeous character in existence? He's an asshole, but he's a perfect asshole. Somehow he manages to wind me up so much, yet I love him anyway? He, too, has grown as a character. I didn't believe he could get any better, but he definitely did - finally we get to see some of the nice Daemon in between the assholery!

Admittedly I was a bit worried about Second Book Syndrome, as I always am with sequels. However, I now feel kind of stupid for worrying in the first place, since of course it was amazing! There's something about Armentrout's writing that keeps calling me back for more. It's addictive - she could write about planting vegetables and it would still be interesting.

Overall, I loved Onyx. As I said, not as much as Obsidian, but it was still fantastic. The Lux series contains some of the best books I have ever read, and I just know it's going to get better and better in Opal and Origin! Now all I've got to do is get my hands on them.
Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment