Wednesday 9 November 2011

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Sara Fitzgerald's daughter Kate is just two years old when she is diagnosed with a rare form of leukaemia. Reeling with the helpless shock of it, Sara knows she will do anything - whatever it takes - to save her child.

Then the test results come back time and again to show that no one in their family is a match for Kate. If they are to find a donor for the crucial bone marrow transplant she needs, there is only one option: creating another baby, specifically designed to save her sister. For Sara, it seems the ideal solution. Not only does Kate live, but she gets a beautiful new daughter, Anna, too.

Until the moment Anna hands Sara the papers that will rock her whole world. Because, aged thirteen, Anna has decided that she doesn't want to help Kate live any more. She is suing her parents for the rights to her own body.

I have literally just finished this book, and I am currently an emotional wreck. It was actually amazing. Admittedly, I was worried at first that I wouldn't like it, purely because Picoult is an adult author, and I thought that I wouldn't be mature enough to understand some of the things that happened. But I was totally wrong. Merlin, I just...I'm speechless. My mum, who has read nearly all of Picoult's novels, warned me that at the end there is a twist that is just so unexpected you are just left sitting there going "What...the...hell!". And so this morning, I tried to guess what the major twist was, and in the end, my mum told me. But now that I've finished, I realize that she lied, and there was actually a way bigger twist yet to come! I just have so much praise for this book. By chopping and changing the point of view to every major character in the book, you really get up-close and under-the-skin of all of them, and you get to the point where you feel like you're an extra member of the family, yourself. I absolutely adored the characters of Brian, Jesse, Anna and Kate - but I couldn't stand Campbell or Sara half the time. But then again, all great books do have characters that you want to slap in them, don't they? Otherwise what's the point of a novel where all the characters are perfectly nice? Exactly - there wouldn't be a point. Picoult is such a talented author, and I'm really glad that I chose this book to be the first I ever read of hers. I hope the next one I pick up lives up to it's standards!
Rating:5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment