Monday 21 November 2011

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

Will is twelve years old and he's just killed a man. Now he's on his own, on the run, determined to discover the truth about his father's disappearance.


Then Will steps through a window in the air into another world, and finds himself with a companion - a strange, savage little girl called Lyra. Like Will, she has a mission which she intends to carry out at all costs.


But the world of Cittàgazze is a strange and unsettling place. Deadly, soul-eating Spectres stalk its streets, while high above, the wingbeats of distant angels sound against the sky. And in the myserious Torre degli Angeli lurks Cittàgazze's most important secret - an object which people from many worlds would kill to possess...


I absolutely loved the first installment in His Dark Materials, and I was really excited when I stumbled upon the second in my school library. But honestly? It wasn't that good - not in the beginning, anyway. If I had to rate the book is halves, the first part would probably get a 4, while the second would get a 9. The beginning dragged, and I found myself avoiding reading it because it just droned on and on about nothing of particular importance. And then suddenly, you dive into this amazing story - it has action, adventure, fighting, mysteries - everything! Towards the end, I felt like I literally could not put it down - and now that I've finished, I desperately want to go on to read The Amber Spyglass. But, because I know now that it can take a while to get into the book, I think I am going to read a couple of other novels first before finishing the trilogy. But nevertheless, overall I really did like it.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment