Monday 22 April 2013

Author Interview: Nikki Rae


I have a massive love for Nikki Rae and the Sunshine series, and I think it is possibly one of the best indie novels I have ever read - if not the best! So how could I pass up an opportunity to pick Nikki's brain?

Nikki Rae is a student and writer who lives in New Jersey. When she is not writing, thinking, or reading, she is most likely hanging out with her gecko, Neil Gaiman, drawing in a quiet corner, or drinking tea by the gallon. Sunshine is her first book. (from Goodreads)

What initially inspired the concept of Sunshine?

Well, it's kind of a funny, painful story. My mom took my sisters and I on a vacation to Aruba when I was in high school. I got sun poisoning the FIRST DAY I was there and was pretty much bed-ridden for the rest of the trip, in too much pain to move. I was only outside for a few hours and I was all blistered and red and god, it hurts just thinking about it. But it got me thinking, what would it be like if this happened every time someone went outside in the sun? And that was the initial seed that Sunshine grew out of.


Ouch! I know it must be difficult to pick, but who's your favourite character? I personally adore Sophie!

Oh well, yes. Of course Sophie is near and dear to my heart. But besides her, my favorite character is Jade. We're just a lot alike when it comes to protecting our siblings, so I can relate to him the most. 

Did you base any characters on people you know? 

Well, in short, yes. I think it's impossible for me as a writer to keep my personal experiences out of my work. I started writing Sunshine for fun, but it became more about having the therapeutic experience of creating characters to deal with difficult subject matter that really kept me going. I don't know if that answers the question well enough, but yes. Parts of me and parts of those around me will always be in my writing. I can't help it.

If you could have one vampire superpower without actually being a full-on vamp, what would it be and why? 

If we're talking about my version of vampires, I'd pick being able to body travel, especially into the bodies of animals. I'm a huge animal lover and I'd give anything to see what they see.

Aside from vampires, what other mythical creatures do you like?

I love so many! Dragons, gargoyles, ghosts, demons, mermaids, and even aliens sometimes, despite how much aliens freak me out. 

I've got to ask - who is your favourite Rocky Horror character? I'm partial to Magenta, even if she's insane!

Yes, she's definitely awesome! But my favorites are: Eddie because he's only in it for a little bit but he's MEATLOAF and how can you not love meatloaf? And Frank Furter, of course. I've always seen him as such a sad character...you know, behind the crazy-mad-scientist-murderer personality.

This is only the beginning of the Sunshine series - when can we next expect a visit from Sophie and Myles?

The second book, Sun Poisoned, will be out June 28th! I am honestly even more excited about this one than the first. I can't wait for you all to read it! : ) 

If you haven't read Sunshine, go and add it to your Goodreads right this second! That link is below, along with a few more!

Nikki's Twitter: https://twitter.com/NikkiRaexX
Nikki's Blog: http://nikkixrae.blogspot.co.uk/
Nikki's Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6751095.Nikki_Rae
Sunshine on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16637812-sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment