Monday 15 April 2013

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Title: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
Publisher: Faber and Faber
Released: 1954
Pages: 225 (Paperback)

William Golding's compelling story about a group of very ordinary small boys marooned on a coral island has become a modern classic. At first it seems as though it is all going to be great fun; but the fun before long becomes furious and life on the island turns into a nightmare of panic and death. As ordinary standards of behaviour collapse, the whole world the boys know collapses with them—the world of cricket and homework and adventure stories—and another world is revealed beneath, primitive and terrible.

You know, after my teacher chose for us to read To Kill A Mockingbird, I trusted his judgement of books. So when he said that Lord of the Flies was fantastic and I would love it, I believed him. How wrong I was - oh how very wrong I was. Get ready for the GIFs, guys.
Where do I begin? I swear the story is just one big jumble of pigs and fire and naked boys.

I think the only good thing I can say about it is that if I get an exam question on symbolism, then I should be able to answer it easily. I liked how Golding used the meaning of Lord of the Flies and incorporated it into a lot of different aspects of the novel. Some of it was very clever. But aside from the symbolical side, it was absolute poop.

Golding was a teacher - a professor; wouldn't you be terrified if your professor wrote books about boys going wild and killing each other on a deserted island with some devil?! Have boys of twelve running around and shoving sticks up pigs butts and rolling boulders down to kill fat kids?!

Some people call this one of the greatest novels of the 20th century - if that's what you think, then you obviously haven't read very much, because not only was this disturbing, but it was incredibly dull. You'd think that amount of killing would at least spark some interesting parts, but nope, not even the climax captured my attention.


Not even the characters were interesting. Ralph was kind of crazy and whined constantly, Jack was obviously an escaped convict, Piggy needed to jump onto a treadmill and shut the heck up, and Simon badly needed some crazy pills.So no matter whose POV it was, you felt like slamming your head into the desk because they were all so infuriating. 

Overall, don't read it. I don't care if its in a list of 1001 books to read before you die, DON'T DO IT! It is a waste of time and I honestly don't know why they let children read this in schools, because despite some of his clever writing techniques, it is boring and I could probably learn more from Twilight (yes, it was that bad).  And the terrible thing is, I can't even advise you to skip the book and watch the films, because the first one had a low budget and Piggy's acting is enough to kill off all your brain cells, and in the second one, the clever children decide to rescue from the plane GLOWSTICKS. I just, I just can't.
 Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment