Thursday 28 November 2013

Hidden Wings by Cameo Renae

Title: Hidden Wings
Author: Cameo Renae
Publisher: Indie Inked
Released: January 16th 2013
Pages: 204 (Kindle)
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US
Add on Goodreads

Seventeen is a life changing age for Emma Wise.
As her family's sole survivor in a car crash, she is left with a broken arm and a few scrapes and bruises. But these are only outward marks; inside, her heart is broken and the pieces scattered.

Whisked away to Alaska, to an aunt she’s never met, Emma starts over. Secrets unveil themselves and now…she doesn't even know who or what she is.

A centuries old prophecy places Emma in the heart of danger. Creatures of horrifying and evil proportions are after her, and it will take Emma, her aunt, and six, gorgeously captivating Guardians to keep her safe. But, if she can survive until her eighteenth birthday... things will change.

So ever since I saw Haley's review of this over at YA-Aholic, I've wanted to read it. So when I got accepted for a review copy, I was over the moon! I love angels and demons, and a few years ago I went through a complete stage of being obsessed with them - now I remember why! Hidden Wings was fast-paced and furious, with a witty band of characters and enemies like no other.

After surviving a seemingly fatal car accident that killed her whole family, Emma Wise is flown away to Alaska to live with an aunt she has never heard of or met before. However, what she thinks is a bad situation is only going to get worse - creatures, dark, dark creatures exist and not just in her nightmares, and they want Emma for reasons unbeknownst to her. Luckily, she's got a team of Guardian Angels to look out for her.

I'm desperately trying not to fangirl over Kade and I'm failing miserably. Don't you just hate it when a fictional character is perfect and their fictional-ness keeps coming back to slap you in the face? He was honestly amazing - thumbs up for swoon-worthy characterisation! I think his characterisation definitely made up for what was lacking in Emma's. A lot of me admired her character, as she was very brave in the face of danger and absorbed a heck of a lot of information at a very fast pace. However, her priorities were all over the shop. I understand that Kade is delicious and very disarming and distracting but her parents had just died! Surely it wouldn't just take a perfect guy to cheer her up from such a life-changing experience? Though I guess I can't be pleased either way, because her constant crying stressed me out, too.

I don't really know how I feel about the pace of the novel. Nothing and everything happened all at once. There was an awful lot of action for about fifty percent of the book, which is loved - nothing is worse than a boring book! But then again, the reader didn't really find out much about what the story is about. There are angels, there are fallen angels...and Emma (spoilers for the rest of the paragraph) is some weird mix between an Angel and a Nephilim. I'm not entirely sure what the Guardians are, I'm not sure about much of Emma's backstory, I know nothing about her potential abilities...it was all just a bit of guesswork (and there were NO kissing scenes with Kade! At all! In the entire 200 pages! NONE!)

Overall, I really enjoyed Hidden Wings. Although not a lot happened in this first instalment, Renae has set up an entire storyline that could develop into something really amazing, and I can't wait to get my hands on Broken Wings.
Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely review you wrote :)
    I just finished this book and I must say that sadly I didn't love it. My biggest problem was the way that Emma is supposed to be this powerful being but she can't do anything without having to be protected by some guy. It reminded me of Bella from Twiligt, except that she is frail because she's human. Generally though I'm not a fan of feeble female characters.
    The part with the magically disappearing grief put me off a bit, too. This just wasn't my kind of novel. I do love well-written romance but most if both the male and female characters get to be kick-ass.

    Cheers, Kaz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! I think this just barely skimmed a four star rating for me, as I can see the flaws. I have faith in this series, though :3 I can't wait to start Broken Wings

      Delete