Thursday 29 December 2011

The Medusa Project: The Set-Up by Sophie McKenzie

Fourteen years ago, scientist William Fox implanted four babies with the Medusa gene - a gene for psychic abilities. But Fox died and the babies were hidden away for years.
Now they're teenagers - and unaware that their psychic powers are about to kick in.
Cocky, charismatic Nico thinks his emerging telekinetic abilities will bring him money, power and the girl of his dreams. He's about to find out just how wrong he is.


I don't know whether I liked this book or not. After finishing it, I was left with a strange sense of unsatisfaction...I know the series continues, but I don't think I want to continue reading it. It was a good book - it was full of action, drama and suspense - but the characters were awful. Each one seemed to be incredibly stupid, whiney, and irritating, and I felt like slapping each and every one of them. It was like their personalities weren't set in stone; they were constantly changing. I also hated how obvious everything was - of course Jack was a bad guy, of course that girl was Viper, of course Dylan was secretly good, of course Ketty was in love with Nico - it was nothing new, nothing exciting. I would recommend this book to people between the ages of 10 - 14, but otherwise I think you'll find yourself a bit bored and irritated. McKenzie is a good author, and she gets to the point of the novel pretty quickly - but for me, it was too quick. I know the books may improve as the series continues, but for me it is a no-go.
Rating:3/5

7 comments:

  1. I hate when books are like that, the synopsis sounds good though. Plus I would have picked it up seeing the cover.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it pretty much sucks:/ But despite that, I'd still recommend it. I mean, if it's not my cup of tea, it could certainly be somebody elses?(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that at the start of series like these, there is an element of nervousness about how the author writes. You can see it in the Harry Potter books. In the first one, J.K. Rowling was getting to grips with the characters and with the style and with the story. The books went from strength to strength from then on.
    This, I feel, is the same as this series. Okay so the first one might be predictable but hey, it's the first one. I really recommend that you read the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th because they've also gone from strength to strength with that element of mystery growing. The characters are developed and new ones are introduced which makes it harder to predict what's coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand where you are coming from, and I am sure that the rest of the series does improve. But for the moment, I'm going to take a break from it, especially since I have a lot of other novels on my shelf waiting to be read. But I'll take what you said into consideration, and I'm sure sometime this year I will read the rest ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, I know this series probably doesn't compare to other award winning one's but I SERIOUSLY recommend you checking out the likes of Blood Ties series and the Girl, Missing series. These are by far better than the Medusa project which I still really enjoyed as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just took Blood Ties out of the library, and I'm sure I'll be reading it soon ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll probably enjoy it, I did :)

    ReplyDelete