Thursday 1 December 2011

Book of the Month: November

This month, I read three books that I rated 10: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, Girl Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, and Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce. And honestly? I loved each and every one for completely different reasons:

My Sister's Keeper was a brilliant novel, and both the book and the film had me in a fit of tears. The emotion throughout was just amazing - it felt like I personally knew each of the characters, and could see their profiles and personalities. It was one of the best novels I've read yet.

Girl, Interrupted was...indescribable. You rarely manage to get your hands on books that hold onto that raw emotion and doesn't sugarcoat the blunt facts. This book, being a memoire, doesn't do that. You can feel the craziness of the different characters - you can feel what it's like to be in the hospital. It was a quick read, but at the same time very insightful, and a one-of-a-kind.

Sisters Red was a brilliant take on the well-known fairytale of Little Red Riding Hood and the bond between the sisters was incredibly realistic, and I'm sure anyone with a sister - or even a sibling - will understand the hardships that they have to go through, and how hard it is to get your head around the fact that your younger siblings are independant too, and won't always depend on you to protect them.

However, I can only chose one book, so it's got to be Girl, Interrupted. There is something in this book that is just so unique and rare. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, because it is harshly true - but to anyone who is interested in mental health and how people with mental health cope with it, then it is definately the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment