Tuesday 23 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday (#2)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the girls over at The Broke and the Bookish, where bloggers get together and list the top ten things related to that week's topic.

Top Ten...Words/Topics That Make Me Not Pick Up a Book
  1. 'Similar to The Hunger Games' - NO IT ISN'T! And if it is, then what the heck are you doing basically copying another author's idea? Of the few books I have read with this caption somewhere on it, they have all disappointed.
  2. 'Poetry' - I like certain pieces of poetry, but not all. I certainly won't pick up a book of poetry by an author I haven't heard about before, as it just doesn't appeal to me. But then again, I love my collection of Sylvia Plath poems *fangirl moment*
  3. Non-fiction - I like my books fictional, with the ability to transport me into a whole new world. Non-fiction reminds me of geography and maps and the top floor of my local Waterstones, which I avoid if I can.
  4. Erotica - over the last year, this genre has become so overdone. I don't care for books about submissive virgins and dominating hot - but obviously deeply disturbed - guys.
  5. Christian - I can't be dealing with it. I have no qualms with religions themselves, even though I am agnostic, but I just don't appreciate a book where the reader is reminded of God and Jesus and how we're all going to hell every other sentence. 
  6. 'For Twilight fans' - of which I am not, so I will not be picking up your book, sir.
  7. Western - Just not my kind of genre. I've read one book by it and...never again.
  8. BDSM - I've read about enough red rooms of pain for a lifetime.
  9. Saga - trilogies I can handle, but sagas make it sound like it will never end (cough, the HoN series, cough)
  10. Vampires - I will only read a vampire book if it has been recommended to me or if I've seen it on Goodreads and like the sound of it. If I'm browsing novels in a bookstore and I see the word 'vampire' - nah. No thanks.
So what do you think? I'm sure I've left loads out, so leave a comment below! And don't forget to enter the giveaway - just click on the image below!

4 comments:

  1. I agree with all of them! There are some really good vampire books though, like The Immortal rules and Vampire academy. I really don't like 'similar to..' or 'the next..' mentions, it gives too high expectations and gives an impression of an unoriginal book.

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get really annoyed with the "simiiar to" or "if you like this" because then I start comparing the two books and it never works out!
    My TTT- http://angelica-2009.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many good ones that I forgot! I hate poetry, religion, a sagas. Sometimes I feel like there should be a "What I Forgot Wednesday" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on Christian books and non-fiction books. Both are totally not my thing - and believe me, I've tried.
    Great list! :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete